Rotterdam Expat Centre is now Rotterdam International Center. We have moved into a new office in the Groot Handelsgebouw read more

Education & childcare

Child benefits

The government provides different types of benefits and allowances for parents in the Netherlands. You as an expat may also have the right to receive such benefits. Please read below for more information on the three most common ones.

Children’s allowance (kinderbijslag)

Children’s allowance helps parents cover the costs of raising children. The amount you receive is dependent on the number of children you have, what their ages are, and if they live at home. The amount can also change once your child(ren) starts working.
In 2023 the amount you receive per quarter is:

  • Child 0 to 5 years old: €261,70
  • Child 6 to 11 years old: €317,77
  • Child 12 to 17 years old: €373,85

To receive children’s allowance you must be registered and living in the Netherlands. You can apply for the allowance by using your DigiD. The allowance is provided directly to parents via the Sociale Verzekeringsbank (SVB).  Click here for more information.

Child benefit (kindgebonden budget)

Child benefit is available for parents to help cover costs such as children’s clothing, food and school expenses. The benefit is higher for single parents. The exact amount you receive is calculated based on your income. The more you earn, the less you receive.


  • You have children under the age of 18 years old
  • You already receive the children’s allowance (kinderbijslag) from the Sociale Verzekeringsbank (SVB)
  • You have a valid residence permit
  • Your capital does not exceed €127.582,- as a single parent or €161.329,- with your partner

Visit this page for more information on child benefit.

Childcare benefit (kinderopvangtoeslag)

Childcare benefit is available for working parents to help cover the costs for childcare. The exact amount you receive depends on your income, the amount you spend on childcare and the type of childcare.


  • You work, study or follow a Dutch integration course
  • You have a contract with a registered childcare centre or child minder
  • You have a valid residence permit and BSN (social security) number
  • Your child is registered at the same address as you
  • You receive children’s allowance (kinderbijslag) or you have shared custody of your child
  • Your child had not yet started secondary education

Please go here for the exact requirements and information on the application process.