Rotterdam Expat Centre is now Rotterdam International Center. We have moved into a new office in the Groot Handelsgebouw read more


If you are moving to the Netherlands, you are generally permitted to import your own household goods without being liable for import duties. However, this exemption is subject to certain conditions. There is also a difference between moving to the Netherlands from an EU country or from a non-EU country.

Are you moving to the Netherlands from another EU country?

There is no need for you to declare your removal goods or personal goods to Customs. That is because there is freedom of movement for goods within the European Union (EU). Alternative rules apply here. For example:

  • Excise goods. You are not liable for duties for excise goods that you bring with you from another EU member state for your personal use. The rules are given in:
  • Exemption from duties / payment of duties if you move to the Netherlands from another EU country
  • Cars and motorcycles: You can apply for a relocation exemption from taxes on private vehicles and motorcycles (belasting van personenauto’s en motorrijwielen, BPM) using the following application form: Vrijstelling bpm – Vrijstelling bpm bij verhuizing (only available in Dutch). Do you have any specific questions about cars and motorcycles? If so, call the Tax Information Line: Cars.
  • Specific products and domestic animals:
  • dogs and cats
  • counterfeit articles
  • endangered species
  • animal products
  • weapons, munitions and fake weapons
  • narcotics
  • cultural property

Rules for specific products and domestic animals are given on the website of the Dutch Tax Authority. For all other questions, call the Customs Information Line.

Are you moving to the Netherlands from a non-EU country?

If so, you must make a Customs declaration. You will usually be permitted to import your removal goods or personal goods in the Netherlands without being required to pay tax. However, you will need to obtain an import permit . Do you want to import your household effects to the Netherlands without paying import duties? In that case, you will need to declare the import of your household effects to Customs. You should state clearly that you wish to import your household effects without paying import duties.

Please note: You cannot file this declaration on your own. The application must be made via your removal company using Customs’ AGS declaration system. Your removal company will declare the household effects with a special code (tax relief code) so that you can import your household effects with an exemption from import duties.

Read more on the website of the Dutch Tax Authority.