For a number of services you need to make an appointment at the municipality in Rotterdam.
For registration, application driver's license, reporting birth, marriage etc. you need to make an appointment.

For registration Highly skilled migrants (KM) you can contact the Expat Centre via our contat from.

For others there are three ways to make an appointment:
-Call +31 (0)10 267 16 25 (available in English)
-Call 14010 (Dutch only)
-Log in to "Mijn Loket" at with your DigiD (Dutch only)


  1. valid passport
  2. filled in application form. One form per person. Be aware that you need to fill in the forms in advance
  3. original birth certificate, legalised or with apostille
  4. if applicable: original marriage certificate/divorce decrees, legalised or with apostille
  5. proof of residence/a tenancy agreement/signed statement by main occupant:
  • If you rent a house: a copy of the rental contract and tenancy agreement, filled in and signed by the landlord (Both documents are mandatory for registration!)
  • If you share a house with someone: declaration by main occupant, complete filled in and signed by the person who gives permission to register on his/her address with a copy of his/her passport or ID + copy tenancy agreement (verhuurdersverklaring). If the consent giver does not live on the same address, then you also need a proof of ownership of him/her (if married, for example in case of following partner, only a declaration by main occupant)
  • If you bought a house: a copy of the property contract
  • If you stay in a hotel: please bring a written permission by the hotel manager stating specifically that you (full name need to be mentioned) are allowed to register on the hotel address. The letter must be signed and stamped by the manager. A confirmation letter of the hotel reservation is not enough.

The 30% reimbursement ruling (the 30% ruling) is a tax advantage for foreign employees working in the Netherlands. If a number of conditions are met, the employer is allowed to grant a tax free allowance amounting to 30% times 100 / 70 of the gross salary subject to Dutch payroll tax. This results in a maximum (effective) tax rate of approximately 36.4%. This tax free allowance is considered as compensation for expenses a foreign employee has for working outside their home country. Read here more about the 30% tax ruling.

To invite friends/family over for a maximum of 90 days you generally need a visa, depending on your nationality. This procedure is only for people who need a visa to be able to come to the Netherlands. Other rules apply if you have the nationality of an EU/EEA country or Switzerland.

Yes, when you leave The Netherlands you have to deregister from the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP). The municipality will then update your details accordingly and will automatically inform other government authorities of your departure. To deregister you can fill in the deregistration form, send the form by post or bring it in person. Please find here more information about deregistration.

If you have lost your confirmation of registration, you can apply for an extract by post by sending a letter with a copy of a valid ID to:

Municipality Rotterdam
Attn. Afdeling CVE2
P.O. Box 70013
3000 KR Rotterdam

You can also call 010-2671625 to make an appointment at Town Hall for ‘uittreksel BRP’ to apply for the extract in person.

Costs extract 2017:
In person € 12,-
By post € 9,- and mailing costs

You can apply for above mentioned certificates by sending a letter or fax with a copy of a valid ID to: 

There are several options: 

For an extract of the population register (akte van de burgerlijke stand) you can submit your request with a copy of your valid ID, your BSN, surname of your father and mother, current address and the purpose of your request  to: 
Public Affairs Rotterdam 
Attn. Gegevensverstrekking 
P.O. Box 70013 
3000 KR Rotterdam 
How long will it take to process my request? 

Via internet: 5 working days 
By mail: 10 working days 
At the desk: 5 working days 
Request to send the certificate abroad: 10 working days 

Cost for the copy is € 12,10 excl. mailing costs (€ 0,85 for Europe and € 0,95 outside Europe). You will receive an invoice which you can pay by internet banking. For information about the status of your request, please send an e-mail to 
Please mention your Invoice number (Betalingskenmerk)", which you can find on the invoice, or indicate your name, as addressed on the invoice. 

It is also possible to apply digitally for the extract from the population register (akte van de burgerlijke stand) via internet, but the site is in Dutch only. 

If you live abroad, you can use this application form (Dutch only) 

Next to these possibilities, you can also obtain a copy at one at the Town Hall of the municipality where you live. 

Extract municipal records database (uittreksel GBA) 
This is not the same document as the extract from the population register, but only a proof of registration. This extract is available in Dutch, French, German, English, Spanish, Italian and Turkish.

DigiD stands for Digital Identity. With a DigiD users can access a great number of online services offered by Dutch government agencies. DigiD is only available to people who are registered in the Dutch municipality (Dutch: gemeente) and have a citizen number (BSN). Please find here an explanation how to apply for a DigiD.

Civic integration in the Netherlands means that you persue a civic integration course about the Dutch language and culture.

The civic integration course is usually followed by an exam which you have to pass within three years.
If you are coming to live and work in the Netherlands for a short time, then your residence permit has only a temporary status, civic integration is not compulsory. Once you decide to stay for the longer term in the Netherlands, your residence permit changes to a more permanent one and then you are obliged to undergo civic integration.
Since January 2013 the municipality no longer offers free civic integration courses. Instead you can contact several Dutch language schools in Rotterdam.

A certificate of good conduct may be required in a number of situations, mostly in connection with employment.
If you apply for a job involving confidential information or vulnerable people your employer may ask you for a certificate of good conduct. For some jobs (teacher or taxi driver, for instance) a certificate is in fact required by law. A certificate of good conduct (Verklaring Omtrent het Gedrag, VOG) is a document by which the Dutch Minister of Security and Justice declares that the applicant did not commit any criminal offences that are relevant to the performance of his or her duties. Please find here more information on the certificate of good conduct.

If you must pay for a parking ticket, but you already left the Netherlands, you can use internet banking to transfer the payment.

To transfer the amount due to the account off the CJIB (Centraal Justitieel Incassobureau) correctly, please find here more information.